Welcome to the Edgefield County Assessor’s Office. We hope that you will find the information on our site to be useful in understanding what the Assessor’s Office does. Staff consisting of experienced licensed appraisers; a GIS mapper and tax clerks are available to answer your questions. Our office strives to follow the duties and laws mandated by the State of South Carolina (SC Code Section 12-37-90). We look forward to serving your needs.
What This Office Does:
- Appraise real property and manufactured (mobile) homes for tax purposes
- Measure and appraise new construction for tax purposes
- Conduct county wide reassessment every 5 years as required by the SC Department of Revenue
- Accept and process appeals of values
- Represents the County in real property & mobile home value appeals to the Board of Assessment Appeals
- Transfers ownership of real property via recorded deeds
- Process 4% legal residence and agriculture applications
- Maintain and process multiple lot discount applications
- Change mailing addresses for real property & mobile home owners as requested
- Accept New Construction exemption, ATI exemption, Military LR exemption, HOA property exemption forms
- Provide actual & potential or estimated rollback tax information
- Process fire reports
- Process mobile home affidavits
- Issues new decals for mobile home registrations
- Issues moving permits for mobile homes
- GIS Mapping (Access thru the GIS/Special Projects Office)
This Office Does Not:
- Give legal advice
- Research real property for legal claims
- Have tax or other information on Vehicles, Boats, Motors, or other personal property (Auditor’s Office)
- Grant Homestead Exemptions for real property (Auditor’s Office)
- Accept payments for County property taxes and personal property taxes (Treasurer’s Office)
- Give information on delinquent taxes (Tax Collector’s Office)
- Grant Veterans Exemptions for real property (Department of Revenue in Columbia, SC)
- Assess manufacturing or utility properties (D.O.R.)
- Record deeds (Clerk of Court)
For Both Electronic and Mailed Applications:
Be sure to include all attachments and signatures. Forms that do not meet the requirements will not be processed.
Edgefield County is in the process of our Countywide Reassessment Program which all counties are required under South Carolina law to implement every five years. We expect to complete the current reassessment by December 31, 2020.
An appraiser will come out to your house to make an inspection of your property. He or she will be riding in a vehicle that will have the Edgefield County emblem. The appraiser will be wearing an identification badge with his or her picture and name preprinted on the badge. The appraiser will proceed to inspect the property to insure the county records are correct and may need to walk around the house to make sure that all improvements have been identified. The appraiser also notes whether the structure has a deck, garage, swimming pool or other amenities. If any additions or improvements have been made to the property the appraiser will have to measure.
We appreciate your cooperation and want to make this process as smooth as possible. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact our office at: 803-637-4066.
Edgefield County Assessor’s Office
Edgefield County In The News
Jalisha Adams, Manager, of the Edgefield County Library reached out to let us know they are working hard to make progress towards reopening the Library. They want to be sure they will be able to reopen safely for staff and library patrons. Currently they are offering...
Edgefield County Planning Commission 6/11/2020 Meeting Public HearingThe following public hearings will take place at The Edgefield County Planning Commission meeting on June 11th, 2020 at 6pm. Given the COVID-19 pandemic the meeting will be conducted via Zoom and...
Requirements to Challenge a BallotPoll managers, any voter, and any qualified watcher may challenge the vote of a person who may be known or suspected not to be a qualified voter. A challenge may also be made if you have good reason to believe the person has already...
Ordinance Number 19-20-768 - An Ordinance Providing for the FY 2020-2021 General Operating Budget and Establishing Ancillary Budgets for Debt Service, E-911 Administration, Industrial Park, Solid Waste Disposal, Victims’ Bill of Rights, Emergency Medical Services,...
Edgefield County LMO Steering Committee 5/7/2020 Video Meeting & Live Stream The Edgefield County LMO Steering Committee meeting on May 7th, 2020 at 5pm will be held via Zoom. The Committee will not be physically present at the County Council Chambers. The Zoom...
Click here to view the PowerPoint Presentation
Purpose of the Land Management Ordinance Why is Edgefield County updating the Land Management Ordinance? Edgefield County Council determined that there is a need to update the current ordinances of the County regarding development, to provide better management of the...
Edgefield County is in the process of our Countywide Reassessment Program which all counties are required under South Carolina law to implement every five years. We expect to complete the current reassessment by December 31, 2020. An appraiser will come out to your...